At the moment I’m working on my version of a LP special/junior - flat topped mahogany body and neck with 2 P90s, and slated for a trans red finish. The relative simplicity of the design has been a nice change - it’s come together pretty quickly.
I’ve taken the opportunity to try a few new ideas. I’ve put together a new jig for routing neck pockets, which worked a treat once I got the hang of it, and has yielded a wonderfully tight fitting neck - I could hold the guitar out at arms length by the neck without the body working loose. I’ll have to shoot some pics next time I fit a neck.
Anyway - here she is:
That nice tight fitting tenon, and the contoured heel joint. Inspired by the late Sid Poole’s neck joint, it allows better access to the high frets, whilst retaining the traditional appearance from the front of the instrument. It’s very comfy!
Finally, the volute. I really liked the way the veneer on John’s guitar flowed out into the volute, and I’m working on simplifying the process to make it easier, faster, and more consistant. I really like the result, and it’s practical too - the back veneer adds strength, and allows me to use a scarfed headstock (which is stiffer and stronger than a 1 piece) without any aesthetic downside. Once the head is completed it’s impossible to tell it apart from a 1 piece headstock.
Oh - and “hello” to everyone following the link from Project Guitar - I got 533 hits yesterday, more than twice my normal amount - cool!