Progress on John’s guitar

Work has been coming along nicely on John’s guitar, and I snapped a few pics as I went. After confirming that my original order was definately AWOL, I rang David Dyke’s Luthier’s Supplies, who were able to provide a substitute piece - shown here with a selection of fretboards from Craft Supplies, 2 Pau Ferro, and 3 East Indian RW.

The Pau Ferro/Santos RW from David Dyke is much darker than the fretboards and head veneers from Craft Supplies, so they’ll be saved for another from project. Instead, one of the East Indian RW board which matches the colour and figure of the neck wood will be used - the middle board in the pic above matches very closely.

I spent a few days working on a cutting plan which would allow me to get two necks and plenty of binding from the Pau Ferro board, and once I’d worked it out, I cut out the neck laminates, each of which has a scarfed headstock. I also ripped and bookmatched a piece of the sycamore beheomoth for the guitar top.

The laminates were glued up, planed true, the trussrod channel routed, and ‘ears’ glued on to make up the headstock width. After the ears were set, everything was planed smooth, and the headstock marked out.

Leave a Reply